Mantic Games – Battlezone Sci-fi Ruins!

Ruins-3

I just received the BATTLEZONES: SCI-FI RUINED DISTRICT from the nice people at Mantic Games, so I’d thought I would share my thoughts as I worked my way through a box, building and painting up a few new buildings for my Deadzone board :)

Out the Box: First off here’s how the sprues look straight out of the box:

You get 4 of these...

You get 4 of these…

...and 4 of these

…and 4 of these…

…as well as a sprue of the connectors common to all of the Battlezones terrain.

As we’ve come to expect from this kinda terrain it’s very nice stuff. Strong, detailed and easy to get together :). It’s a nice variety as well allowing all kinds of ruins to be built from this set alone, combine it with some of the Urban terrain and you could make some truly unique buildings for any game. For Deadzone everything you get is perfect, suits the game really well and is the perfect size and shape for it. For other games it’s a bit more restricted as it sticks to a 3″ x 3″ cube format, although a little extra work and you can make them into any weird and wonderful shape you wish.

Building: I had a few ideas spinning around as to what I wanted to build up with these. A couple of small ruins would be perfect to act as individual sections of cover or positioned in the right spot, separated parts of the same building :), and I wanted to see what could be made up only with this box, so I started cutting and gluing and got these…

Ruins-4

The terrain only needs a wee bit of cleaning up, a few sections where they were clipped from the sprue as well as getting rid of mold lines in the hole connectors would be slotted into. You get a few rubble sections that act as a connector, which you can see in the top left of the picture. It’s a simple but cool piece that adds to the overall look of a ruined building nicely.

There was also a couple of sections that allow for some free-standing rubble. Here’s how they look straight out of the box with a smidgen of glue (they come as two halves that slot together)…

Ruins-5

Combining with the Urban Box: I also wanted to create a couple of bigger buildings like the Bar and Cafe that I’d worked on previously. Something with character, which meant (to me anyway)it should be a target, something that the Council would want rid of in the event of containment protocols and therefore ‘ruined’.

The first idea was a coms station of some sort and after fiddling about for a few hours I put this together…

Ruins-6

I managed to make it almost exclusively with bits from the ruins box and spares bits from an Urban district box. Anything I couldn’t find a suitable piece for from the Battlezones parts I used a few varieties of plastic bit’s and pieces instead, most of which I got from the local hobby shop. I’m going to continue adding some extras onto this building to help increase the character.

After all that I still have a fair few bits leftover to do another building, which in my head at present should be some kind of lab or medical centre, have to see what I can do…

Dreadball – Zee Team Finished!

My 5th Dreadball team, the Irn Bruisers, and their coach have now been finished and here they are:

Zees4 Zees5

I used the Gabe model for my coach, Mr. Barr, as I happen to have one spare who will eventually get done up for use as an MVP

Coach1 Coach2

As you can see I made up a logo for them imitating their inspration, the great drink that is Irn Bru. I also tried out some clear paints on the bases for something a bit different. I did this with a mix of the red and yellow from the Tamiya clear range. I’m pleased with the result and think it will be something I’ll do again in the future with some different colours :)

Next up will be some MVP’s :D

Dreadball – Zee Team!

I’m back! After a wee break from hobby things in general I’ve jumped back in with getting some of the Dreadball stuff sitting about unpainted finished and the first thing I wanted to do was my Zee team, the Irn Bruisers!

Zees2 Zees3

If you’re at all familier with a certain Scottish soft drink you’ll know exactly where I got the inspiration for these guys :)

May 2014 – A Month in Review

I’ve decided to post a wee gallery at the end of each month to show a roundup of the hobby prohjects I’ve completed in that time. This is so people will be able to get a look at everything in one place, but also to give me an idea of what I’m getting through. I’m also looking to try at least one new hobby method each month, such as the icicles I tried this month, to add to my hobby skills and hopefully this will encourage me a bit more.

So without further ado, here’s what I’ve done this month…

Warhammer 40k – More Inquisition!

After cracking through the Inquisitor commission, and the Eisenhorn/Ravenor books I’ve still got the bug for painting up a few more of these bad boys :)

Since I won’t be using them in games I decided to work towards something that I could sell on, once they are done, so went with the current cheese of an Inquisitor and 3 servo skulls!

Group1 Lor1 Lor2 ServoA1 ServoA2 ServoB1 ServoB2 ServoC1 ServoC2

Gideon Lorr is one of those models I’ve always loved, even if he is just a slightly different sculpt to the witchhunter I’ve just finished, so decided he would be a good place to start :)