Ortrex Gellion, leader of my Van Saar gang, has been painted and he’s brought along a couple of his eight legged friends for support.
Ortrex will be the current leader of the Gellion clan, a group of Van Saar archeotech hunters. I’ve still got plans for the background for the clan, and am peicing it together bit by bit.
I’ve used a Sicarians sword to give him his exotic power sword. I’m still unsure if the colour and pattern are what I should go for, and may revisit this later with a more traditional blue scheme. Let me know what you think.
I also managed to finish these two creepy fellas…
I like how they’ve come out in the gang colours, especially alongside the rest of them. In fact I’m just really chuffed with these 2 they really look the part.
Time to move onto some basic gangers to make up my numbers. Back soon with another update.
Work has progressed quite swiftly with the gang, in all aspects. I’ve got 15 built, 5 painted and the big old brute ready to go. I’ve even got a backstory in mind and a whole host of other conversions planned out, but those are posts all of their own.
Here’s a look at everything painted so far, including their very own Ambot!
I’ve really enjoyed building and painting all of this so much but it’s the converting that’s really sunk its hooks into me. I’d forgotten the joy of sifting through your bits box, lining parts up, creating something unique and special to your force. I started off with a few small additions, like the shields and long Las on my leader or the Lascannon, a simple matter of replacing the barrel and cutting down the back to fit the energy cell…
Even the ambot only featured a few bits and pieces stuck on where they looked cool, simply filing the join point to match up…
But its these wee additions that make all the difference and really helps blend something like the Ambot into your force, something also achieved with a matching paint job. I used some Eldar backpack components for the ‘antennae’ and some Tau bits for the back vanes. I chopped up and smmothed down one of the energy shield peices to add the Van Saar emblem to the shoulder guard.
I’ve got so many more ideas for models I’d like to make, not just for the Van Saar but a whole host of Underhive characters, loners and outcasts for a campaign I have planned, but I’ll tell you more about that soon. For now here’s a few more pictures of the gang…
My Van Saar have a unique bit of kit, which I’m gonna write into thier back story, and I’ve been asked how it was done. So here is a guide on building your own ‘Gellion’ pattern energy shield to put to good use against the enemies of Van Saar!
What you’ll need…
‘Hystrar’ pattern energy shield. The standard one from the Van Saar gang box is perfect.
Servo skull. These are quite easy to come by on bits sites and ebay, and there’s quite a few variations out there.
‘Thrusters’ I used a Necron weapon part, but you could use anything that fits the theme
Begin by removing the back of the skull and the house emblem from the shield front. Make sure to file these flat so they will sit flush.
Glue the skull to the shield front, centered where the house emblem was. I chose to glue them to oriente the shield horizontally, to change things up you could affix it so the shield is vertical.
On the back of the shield you’ll need to shave down the plug or it will not fit in place properly.
Get your ‘thruster’ ready. I made sure the connection point was flat.
Affix your thruster to the back off the energy shield. Before gluing anything dry fit the front and back to make sure everything is the orientation that you want it.
Once all the glue is dry you should be able to stick the peices together giving you your energy shield.
I didn’t glue the peices together, as I want to be able to remove the acrylic shield section for painting.
I did however glue the skull part to one of my champions, and if you have not seen them already, take a look at a gallery of the other energy shields below…