Necromunda – Underhive Base Painting Guide

I wanted to share how I achieved the bases for my Necromunda models. I wanted something a little distinct from the usual metal bases and what better way to do that than ancient rusted up bases. I also added a wee touch of spot colour, with the green ooze under the grates.

I started with a black undercoat to get things started, but here’s how I cheived the rest…

I began with a basecoat of Mournfang Brown.

This was followed by a heavy drybrush of Skrag Brown.

Then apply a lighter drybrush of Deathclaw Brown.

Apply an edge highlight to all the hard edges and stipple small amounts over the flat areas.

Make a mix of 1 part Moot Green to around 3 parts water and flood the grating up to the level of the higher lip.

Make a mix of 1 part Gauss Blaster Green and 3 parts water. This time use the mix to flood only each individual section.

Make a mix of 1 part Guass Blaster Green and 1 part Ceramite White. Apply carefully down the centre of each rectangle and along the edges.

Apply a light glaze of Waywatcher Green.

Apply a layer of Abaddon Black to the rims.

I used Kromlech’s Soot Black pigment to add a touch of weathering to finish off the bases.

You should now have some funky bases for your gangers. I’ll be back soon with some more ideas on how to base your gangs.

Advertisements

Necromunda – Ambots Sighted!

It’s time to introduce to new additions to my Underhive collection, the new hotness on Necromunda, a pair of Luther Pattern Excavation Automata or Ambots…

I chose to make some modifications straight off the bat, to personolise them a little bit. Nothing major, just a bit of a kitbash. The first, to join my Van Saar gang, I added some antennae and some ‘fins’ to the back to enhance the bug-like look and add a technological look to it. Here’s a better look at it…

The other I wanted to create a little story for, a modified bot used by a wandering tech hunter. Used for defense but mainly for excavation, heavy lifting and of course as something of a pack horse. Now I’ll have to work on this wanderer to go with him. Here’sa closer look at this one…

It might be a while before I actually get them on the table, but they’re spurring on loads of ideas for ‘other’ models to make.

Necromunda – ‘Gellion’ Pattern Energy Shield Guide

My Van Saar have a unique bit of kit, which I’m gonna write into thier back story, and I’ve been asked how it was done. So here is a guide on building your own ‘Gellion’ pattern energy shield to put to good use against the enemies of Van Saar!

What you’ll need…

  • ‘Hystrar’ pattern energy shield. The standard one from the Van Saar gang box is perfect.
  • Servo skull. These are quite easy to come by on bits sites and ebay, and there’s quite a few variations out there.
  • ‘Thrusters’ I used a Necron weapon part, but you could use anything that fits the theme

Step 1

Begin by removing the back of the skull and the house emblem from the shield front. Make sure to file these flat so they will sit flush.

Step 2

Glue the skull to the shield front, centered where the house emblem was. I chose to glue them to oriente the shield horizontally, to change things up you could affix it so the shield is vertical.

Step 4

On the back of the shield you’ll need to shave down the plug or it will not fit in place properly.

Step 5

Get your ‘thruster’ ready. I made sure the connection point was flat.

Step 6

Affix your thruster to the back off the energy shield. Before gluing anything dry fit the front and back to make sure everything is the orientation that you want it.

Step 7

Once all the glue is dry you should be able to stick the peices together giving you your energy shield.

I didn’t glue the peices together, as I want to be able to remove the acrylic shield section for painting.

I did however glue the skull part to one of my champions, and if you have not seen them already, take a look at a gallery of the other energy shields below…