Hydra’s Finished!

This afternoon has been spent getting the last bits and bobs on the Hydra’s done, which means they are now done and dusted 😀

Completed Hydra's

Completed Hydra’s

Completed Hydra's

Completed Hydra’s

Will be getting a few more detailed images of them over the next few days, individual shots from all sides and such 🙂 Then it’s on to the next project (still making up my mind as to what that will be :-/)

Hydra Progress Update 2!

More work has been done on the Hydra’s this week, with the main hull and metals done, and the red started.

Hydra's WIP

Hydra’s WIP

Hydra's WIP

Hydra’s WIP

Once the red is complete it’s only the details and adding some dirt to the tracks to do, so should be complete fairly soon. Then its onto an option of things, might be a dreadball team, more Tau or even something completely random…

Hydra Progress Update!

I now have a good start on the hydra’s, the main hull colour and the battle damage are just about done:

Hydra's WIP

Hydra’s WIP

Hydra's WIP

Hydra’s WIP

I’ve used a common method of salting for the battle damaged, and found it a lot easier the more tanks I’ve done. The basic process is as follows;

  • Apply undercoat, once dry paint the hull the colour you want showing through. In the instance of these tanks I’ve gone for an orangy/brown rusty colour.
  • Then its a coat of hairspray whilst applying salt, this not only helps the salt stick to the areas you want it, but also helps ensure the underlying colour does not scrub off.
  • Once dry it’s then time to apply the main hull color, black in this case, and highlight it up.
  • Again, once dry, its time to scrub off the salt. I used an old toothbrush and some warm water for this.
  • Once this is done you have what is pictured above (hopefully ;)).

I have noticed a few deposits of salt still left, so going to do a bit more scrubbing today and then get on with the next stage 😀

Tanks! Tanks! Tanks!

So the next lot of Death Korp has changed slightly as the customer needs a few of his tanks built and undercoated for a tournament this Friday. The Tanks in question are two hydras and another basilisk:

Tanks!

Tanks!

I have been struggling with these all afternoon as they are a fair bit of work to put together. The Basilisk I already knew would be a bit of trouble (primarily due to warped parts), but I never once thought the Hydras would be as much trouble as they are. The kit does not fit together without leaving some quite considerable gaps at the back sides and the bottom, which I would not expect from such an expensive kit. Usually Forge World kits fit together superbly.

So tomorrow will be spent with the plasticard and the greenstuff out trying to fix these sections, and get these tanks looking top notch (hopefully :D)