Over the last few days, as well as painting more Dreadball than you can shake a stick at, I’ve began prepping the next Basilisk for the Death Korp army. Its now got all of the base colours in place, now its time to work on the rust 🙂
Had time today to get some additional shots of the Hydras from all angles, so here you go:
And the second one:
Hope you like 😀
This afternoon has been spent getting the last bits and bobs on the Hydra’s done, which means they are now done and dusted 😀
Will be getting a few more detailed images of them over the next few days, individual shots from all sides and such 🙂 Then it’s on to the next project (still making up my mind as to what that will be :-/)
More work has been done on the Hydra’s this week, with the main hull and metals done, and the red started.
Once the red is complete it’s only the details and adding some dirt to the tracks to do, so should be complete fairly soon. Then its onto an option of things, might be a dreadball team, more Tau or even something completely random…
I now have a good start on the hydra’s, the main hull colour and the battle damage are just about done:
I’ve used a common method of salting for the battle damaged, and found it a lot easier the more tanks I’ve done. The basic process is as follows;
- Apply undercoat, once dry paint the hull the colour you want showing through. In the instance of these tanks I’ve gone for an orangy/brown rusty colour.
- Then its a coat of hairspray whilst applying salt, this not only helps the salt stick to the areas you want it, but also helps ensure the underlying colour does not scrub off.
- Once dry it’s then time to apply the main hull color, black in this case, and highlight it up.
- Again, once dry, its time to scrub off the salt. I used an old toothbrush and some warm water for this.
- Once this is done you have what is pictured above (hopefully ;)).
I have noticed a few deposits of salt still left, so going to do a bit more scrubbing today and then get on with the next stage 😀
Little bit of painting, little bit of modelling today. Started to fill the gaps on the Hydras with some plasticard, and to give you an idea of the gap here’s before and after:
As you can see the plasticard does a rudimentary job, gonna need to do a wee bit of greenstuffing to smooth the whole thing over.
I also found myself distracted by the Cadre Fireblade, that’s been sitting on the table for a wee while now, and managed to add a few colours to the chap. Didn’t really realise how much of the model is armoured, this makes things a little easier on the model and means I can dedicate more on the cloak and the sept markings. These elements more than anything help to distinguish him from any old firewarrior. Anyway enough rambling, here’s a picture:
And just because they look cool :D, the tanks again:
So the next lot of Death Korp has changed slightly as the customer needs a few of his tanks built and undercoated for a tournament this Friday. The Tanks in question are two hydras and another basilisk:
I have been struggling with these all afternoon as they are a fair bit of work to put together. The Basilisk I already knew would be a bit of trouble (primarily due to warped parts), but I never once thought the Hydras would be as much trouble as they are. The kit does not fit together without leaving some quite considerable gaps at the back sides and the bottom, which I would not expect from such an expensive kit. Usually Forge World kits fit together superbly.
So tomorrow will be spent with the plasticard and the greenstuff out trying to fix these sections, and get these tanks looking top notch (hopefully :D)
I’ll be starting my next lot of jobs soon, and I have a few on the go now.
First up will be a squad of Harlequins for an Ulthwe army. I’ve been given free reign on these (except bone and black masks to tie into the army). This is both good and bad, on one side I get to experiment and do what I think will be cool. On the other hand I am notoriously indecisive, which may mean it takes a while for me to settle on a colour scheme, layout etc.
Following these guys I have the next lot of Death Korp to paint. For this round we have an engineers squad with heavy flamer and commissar, to be used as a veteran squad, another Basilisk, and a standard squad of dudes. Looking forward to the engineers, as from the brief look I’ve had they are some really crackin models.
My lovely wife also treated me to some models this week, in the form of a Cadre Fireblade and a box of Fire Warriors. Having to wait until next week to get the FW means I get to focus on the Fireblade first, and I dont mean to sound like a broken record, but again, what a crackin model. Bit expensive for what it is, but the detail and character is outstanding for a plastic mini. GW are out doing themselves on the plastic clam characters!
After a long weekend in Sweden (’twas awesome) it’s back to the painting and since being back in sunny Scotland (it is actually sunny for once :/) I have now completed the Russ and Korvydave. Here they are;
The russ has not yet been named, so I’ve left the forward red sections unadorned so this can be added at a later date if necessary.
Well I may have got distracted by a certain Korvydae figure, now re-named Korvydave in honor of the owner, and I have to say he is just lovely. As always from Forge World character figures there is so much history and detail on the figure. And the face, oh the face, such a crisp casting gives such a great area to paint. Never before have I had so much fun painting a face (although he always reminds me of Robocop without the helmet
The russ is now at the stage of getting the details added, with the main hull finished off. And here it is;